Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grass isn't always Greener

I feel really bad about not posting lately.
And to be strait up, if you hate whiners, you might want to skip over this post for now. I have held it in all week. And I am finally saying something.
My dad gave me the best advice today, in telling me that I can’t just post the “Peaches and Cream” of the trip so to speak. There are definitely rough times. And I am feeling it right now.
And to be honest, this week has been a really hard week for me to get through.

I love Thailand. Please don’t get me wrong about that. I am so grateful that I am here. And I know that I am supposed to be here. There is not one part of me that regrets coming at all.
But I also am a FIRM believer in culture shock. And not so much seeing things and thinking things are weird. Or judging other people for the way that we live differently, as well as watching how others have been raised and thinking I am above them. I feel like I have fully embraced the Thai culture with open arms. And tried my very best to be the most understanding and respectful I know.  I know I can tell myself a million times. And make it a mind game. “Mind over matter” right?

My body on the other hand
Has a different approach.
The farthest away my body has been from Utah is California. As far as humidity goes. I have lived in Utah my entire life. DESERT state.
The humidity in Thailand is completely and utterly overwhelming to try to comprehend into words. The air is absolutely engulfing.
It doesn’t just hit you all at once... oh no.
It slowly works on you all day.
The heat I can do. Humidity on the other hand,
We have AC in our room. Which I am SO GRATEFUL for. But we have to wait till 7:00 pm to turn it on every night. And as soon as the clock strikes 7:00 am, off goes the AC. And the windows swing open.
Even if I didn’t have to get up in the mornings and teach. There’s no way I could sleep in.  The heat alone is enough to get you out of bed.
Getting up and teaching is fine. It’s getting done with teaching at noon every day and not having anywhere to go but back to our room.

I don’t know if I have really talked about our living conditions. But I’ll just touch on it.

I am one of 6 girls living in one room. With 3 bunk beds for sleeping. A table and chairs for eating all 3 meals. A coffee table, chairs and a bench. And one closet for all of us to share. The room we live in is about the size of a one car garage.

So alone time in the room is impossible. Also there are 3 outlets. So that’s great

Coming back from teaching. Absolutely exhausted. I have been talking for 3 hours straight. Trying my very best to keep 3-5 year olds entertained long enough to learn English and get through class. Is so hard. Especially dripping with sweat. It’s not as bad in the school. But the second you get done. And come out to the room. It is like walking in to a trailer house that has been sitting on the side of your house all summer, and going in to it during the heat of the day in mid-July. That hot, stagnant air. Is how it feels in our room all day. Until 7. When we can turn on the AC. We do have 2 fans in our room. My bed is a top bunk. Ain’t no chance there is any air getting up to me. After we eat lunch. I don’t even want to talk. All I want to do is drink cold water and sleep. I am constantly. CONSTANTLY sweating. I could be sitting in a chair. Staring at a wall. Or having a casual conversation. And there would be sweat pooling on my neck, and dripping off my ears and sliding off my eye brows.

All I want to do is come back and sleep. Today I tried just basically stripping down to my underwear and laying on my bed and trying so hard to take my body out of the situation I was in. I slept for an hour and woke up in an absolute POOL of sweat. And was dripping.

It’s disgusting.

Trust me

I know

I take two showers a day

At least

There is no where to go to get away from the heat. We are allowed to go in the school any time we want! During school hours however every room is full. I can’t leave campus unless I take two other people with me. Sitting outside is even worse. And shade does nothing.

Trying to get away from people is impossible. The only alone time I get is late at night after everyone goes to bed. Or even in the bathroom. But I share a bathroom too. So usually you aren’t alone. 

It’s so hard to be patient with 5 other girl’s personalities and living habits that aren’t what you’re used to, or what you grew up with knowing. When you are absolutely miserable hot. Also laundry day is once a week. And I brought limited clothing. So changing clothes every time I sweat like I do at home is definitely not an option here.  Some days if I have the energy to I will gather some girls and we will make the 15 min bike ride in to town and go AC hopping at different stores and adventure.

That is so fun!! However. I haven’t had the patience with anyone long enough to do that. Or the energy to do that every day!

It’s miserable not getting alone time. I NEED alone time. I love people. I love being social and talking, laughing and having fun. But I need a recharge. And I need to be alone sometimes. I love my “me” time. And I am having a hard time with not having it here. That’s one of my biggest turn offs with going on a mission. And I feel like I am on one now. 

I don’t know how to escape the heat.

I am going to try to buy a fan. And figure out how to run an extension cord. Because I can’t keep doing this. 

I also can’t keep being so negative.

I am so grateful for so many things now. Especially going without some comforts has made me realize how blessed I am to have common luxuries every day and not even think twice about it in America.

I am so grateful for

AC
My own room
My family that loves me and is always there for me
My dogs and their unconditional love towards me
Being able to go to the store, know what everything is, and be able to eat however I want
Having a different carb with my meal besides rice….
Having lean protein
Cheese
A dishwasher
A dryer
A bathroom inside
A shower inside
Having pest control be a real thing
Not having lizards and frogs in my showers with me
Not having to check the shower curtain for cockroaches or spiders before getting in.
Being able to flush my toilet paper
Brushing my teeth inside
Being able to go barefoot outside if I want to
Being able to sleep in the day if I want to
Having the comfort of a priesthood leader so close by at home
Being able to understand what people are saying about me when they speak
Knowing how to read street signs
Knowing how to understand what people say when they say a number
Having a washer that doesn't ruin my clothes
A mom that does my laundry
Having the ability to go get a frosty whenever I please
Being able to drive!! Freedom
Sleeping in my own bed
Being able to put on make-up and not have it be gone 10 mins later
Having my hair stay dry all day long
Being able to go outside at night without worrying about getting eaten alive by a stray dog, raped, turned into a sex slave, or eaten to death by mosquitoes
Not having acne
Eating pizza rolls
Eating pizza
Eating whatever I want
I could go on for ever
I love America.
Such a comfortable country.
Everything about it. 

 I just remember this is the real reason I am here.. This 

 This is the part I love. with wayy too much of my heart


No comments:

Post a Comment